Social Media Manager
The Social Media Manager (formerly Social Marketing Manager) is responsible for marketing TarValon.Net to non-members through social media. The Social Media Manager is responsible for developing and managing the Social Marketing Team. The Social Media Manager will work with other staff on the site as needed, including the Graphics Development Team, the Department of Events & Conferences, and the Department of Community Outreach to facilitate announcements that the organization would like shared with non-members.
Position Level: Admin
Department: Department of Marketing
Rotation: Non-rotating position
Merit Eligibility: Administrator Merit
Chain of Command
The Social Media Manager reports to the Director of Marketing.
The Social Marketing Team report to the Social Media Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Generate ideas for posts to make on social media. From September 2017 to July 2018, TarValon.Net posted seven days a week, and starting in August 2018, we moved down to five days a week. We hope to continue with at least five days a week.
- As needed, hire people to fill in roles on the Social Marketing Team.
- Work with the Editor of the Tar Valon Times to facilitate the creation of articles that will appeal to non-members.
- Utilize a Google Calendar to plan all posts to social media at least two weeks in advance, and ideally four weeks in advance.
- Effectively manage and delegate platform tasks to the specific team member(s) in charge of the platform.
- Keep records of the content being posted and analyze what is working and what isn't, as well as doing end-month statistics and posts within the Social Marketing Team to update everyone
- Have an ability to constantly come up with ideas and not be afraid when they don't work out - social media moves very quickly, and a mistake is quickly forgotten. If something isn't working, it's okay to move on.
- Enjoy using social media, regardless of the platform.
- Strong initiative and motivational skills - you will be overseeing a team of people that need you to help cheer, motivate, and inspire them.
- Must be able to work collaboratively in a team environment, and be able to receive critiques on what is working and what isn't.
This position will require a decent amount of time upfront (~10 hours/week), but will then be able to slowly wind down, and with enough planning, you'll be able to manage the job with ~5 hours/week.
- Must have been a member of TarValon.Net for at least six months, and you must have a passion for this community and a desire to share and promote it to the world.
- Open to any rank, Citizen and above.
- Familiarity with, and use of, at least one or two of the platforms that we are present on is required (if you do not already have a Facebook account, you will need to create one to be made an administrator of the page).
- You must be able to commit to at least one year in this position - life happens, and we understand that, but a constant presence is a great asset to a team.
- Photoshop would be very useful to have, but is not necessary.
The position was first advertised January 11, 2019. Previously known as the Social Marketing Manager.
Social Media Managers
- Alenya Al'Roran: January 30, 2019 - present